Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Another day, another Blog.

Here I am once again, after kicking my husband and son off WOW. I'll be getting a new beaut computer to enable me to do wonderful things.

I have had a look at Delicous, and wiki and several other things, and it sort of reminds me of cataloguing. Lots of cataloguing done in a very adhoc way.

While most of the things we have been looking at are fine. Will they provide us with tools that exceed what we are already using.

My thoughts are this is just probably just a new way.

Communication relies of people being familar with their tools.

I think this could be great for reader advise, but finding information still falls into the trap of knowing where to look. You have to waste an awful lot of time sitting in front of a computer to come up with this expertise.

So, I think what I would like to see is the our current catalogue containing more links to related books (more detail) and more links to other authors that write on the same subject and for my readers (old fashion as that my sound) what is in at the library that they are standing in.

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I think it's not about letting go of the ways we have been doing it, but streamlining them a little to make them easier to use and quicker. Tying them all up into one place. Did you see the videos I posted on the Brisbane Online Learning blog about using LibraryThing in conjunction with traditional subject headings?